Dr. Grimm is a native of Idaho and received his undergraduate degree from Boise State University. After graduating, he spent two years doing orthopaedic clinical research as a career before attending medical school at the University of Utah School of Medicine. During medical school he took time off to do a research fellowship at Vanderbilt University focusing on cartilage research and a condition known as osteochondritis dissecans of the knee. After medical school he attended Duke University for his Orthopaedic Surgery Training. Here he was able to work with the Duke University athletics, continue doing clinical research, and further develop his interest in Sports Medicine. Also, during this time, he traveled to France to further learn shoulder arthroscopy and shoulder arthroplasty techniques from Dr. Pascal Boileau, world-renowned shoulder surgeon.
After finishing his training at Duke University, he then completed a Pediatric and Adult Sports Medicine Fellowship at the University of Connecticut and Elite Sports Medicine at Connecticut Children’s Hospital. Here he worked with the UConn Men’s and Women’s basketball, football, soccer, and ice hockey teams. He also worked with Quinnipiac University ice hockey team. Dr. Grimm has made substantial contribution to orthopaedic research having written 23 book chapters and 46 research articles in addition to numerous presentations. He is a passionate educator, researcher, and surgeon who has joined the ISMI team in August 2020. His surgical interests are in hip arthroscopy, open and arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee in athletes, and shoulder replacement surgery.
- Undergrad: Boise State University, Boise, ID
- Medical School: University of Utah School of Medicine, SLC, UT
- Internship: Duke University, Durham, NC
- Residency: Duke University, Durham, NC
- Fellowship: Cartilage Research Fellowship, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Fellowship: Traveling Shoulder Fellowship with Dr. Pascal Boileau, Nice, France
- Fellowship: Pediatric & Adult Sports Medicine UConn Sports Medicine & Elite Sports Medicine at Connecticut
- Children’s Hospital, Farmington, CT